Blue "The Blueminator" Lewis

Blue "The Blueminator" Lewis

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Good morning.

New Year arrived quietly and with great expectations.

The morning is too dark, dreary and drizzly to walk, so we are staying in bed until the last minute before getting ready for the day.

I was able to sign Blue and I up for a pit bull hiking group, called "Hike-A-Bull" and I am excited about it. They work with the non-profit pit bull rescue called "Our Pack" and I think this is just what Blue needs.

This is a group for owners that have dogs that are learning and a work in progress to those dogs who are fine. It is well supervised and the dogs do not interact, which is a huge relief to me.

Blue just needs to learn to be a dog with other dogs without any pressure to do anything.

As sweet and goofy as he is, his lack of proper socialization shows.

Walking him is always a challenge because of what we may or may not run into.

Blue wanting to play with every dog he sees shows in his lunging towards other dogs. Tail wagging, nothing but legs and mouth heading towards the unsuspecting dog needs to be corrected.

He is strong but I am stronger, smarter and more aware. Snap goes the leash as I quickly and firmly pull him back, over and over, until he realizes that we don't play that game.

Plus I am also seeing how nervous/scared he gets when he suddenly tries to bolt whenever anything or anyone comes up suddenly behind us.

I maintain my composure and don't react and continue to walk tall and pull him along. I ignore it, even when he looks up at me to see if I'm scared.

We only pay attention to positive things and ignore the negative.

Just as I do in life. I will grant life and love to all the positive and refuse to be baited into the negative. I hold my head high, stand tall and continue to walk forward.

If I flinch, I hope no one sees it.

My connection with animals has always been there and grows stronger as I grow older. I have no understanding of those that do not have this. I dismiss them as unimportant and stupid and keep walking.

I hear animals and I understand them. One needs to be quiet in one's heart and mind to hear them and listen. Just like humans, they just want to be heard and understood. Their simplicity is something I admire greatly and at times, envy.

I works towards a simpler life and Blue teaches me that it's the little things that matter.

A warm and soft place to sleep.

Enough food to not be hungry.

Acceptance of who one is at face value.

There's always time to play and having fun is the most important thing in the world.

No matter what happens, the moment will pass and another will arrive.

The past has no value and all we need are belly rubs, a kiss on the forehead and a smile.

Anything else is unimportant.

No comments:

Post a Comment